Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Story of a Logo

When one sets up a new business, one of the initial steps is to create a suitable logo that can represent the nature of your business. You need to look at many details while creating a logo. For example, decide on size, shape, color, and aesthetics of the logo that will finally epitomize the nature of your business. The logo should be a reflection and extension of your personality.

Now, let me start with my story of creating the Just J logo.

As a typical entrepreneur, I had many ideas of how my logo should look. Some ideas were practical and some were not. First, I must tell you how the name came into existence. The name was born inside an auto while rickekting racketing through Bangalore's busy roads. My cousin Sarin was bouncing off names for my boutique. I wanted a fancy Sanskrit 4-letter name and had looked up many. But I couldn't find a one that I could identify as mine. Sarin remarked "Please, don't do the typical mallu thing of expanding your initials into a name like JayCee (JC) or JayDee (JD). Just leave it to just 'Jyoti' or just 'J'." And behold I totally loved that Just J and I knew that is what I would want the name to be!!! Thus, Just J was born in an eventful bumpy auto ride in Bangalore.

Sarin still wants royalty for the name. By this post, I humbly acknowledge your contribution in the christening the name of my business.

During the initial days of my business, I did not have the resources to pay Graphic Designers for the logo creation. I worked with a couple of designers who didn't charge me a bomb and gave me a few samples. But none of those logos made my heart say "This is the one." I had to print my business cards minus the logo.

Many months down the line, one weekend night, I was introduced to a graphic designer in one of my friends' place. While discussing, I told him about my frustration at not finding the right logo and designer. After listening to all my rambling, took out a paper napkin and started scribbling. After some time, he showed me three napkins each with different logos. I immediately zeroed in on one! The next few days we worked on the art work, final color, details selection and finally approved the final version that you see on my business card and here on my blog.

The Just J logo is inspired from my signature. The Js are how I sign my name. The three dots are like an inverted therefore. It's also a sign, which often adorns my forehead along with my traditional bindi. The three dots represent my three strengths - passion, perseverance, and simplicity in style. The circle is inspired from the red wax seal on the sealed envelopes. The colors are earthen in nature with my product range.





My logo story doesn't end here. There is more to it.

First few months of 2010 were slow for Just J and I was looking at a revamp of the company name and logo. With this in mind, I went to consult Mr A K Ramchandran, a close family friend and our spiritual guru, who has been a mentor in many ways. I showed him the logo and asked him if any changes had to be made in color, name, or design. He suggested a minor change, which was done immediately. I even changed the logo on my Facebook Just J page. Now, call it a mere coincidence or miracle, I could see a few positive changes in my business. I started getting inquiries and I received a call from 3-I organizers of the Arts and Crafts Bazaar saying that finally a date has been set for the show.

I went on to do the 2-day bazaar, which was a over-whelming success for Just J. Sadly, one day before the bazaar, Mr. Ramchandran passed away. I will be forever indebted to him. Today I can see a drastic changes as my business sure has picked up and I am now taking big steps in making my dream come true!

Just J logo is not just another creation of a designer but the soul of my company.


2 comments:

  1. Hey Jo... thanks for the credits...i would normally wish good luck... but the way things are going i will only say congrats... u have not only given hope but also rasied the bar for many young entrepreneurs in the form of... focus... passion... and commitment...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice logo, too - many many moons will go in to 'studying' it 😀

    ReplyDelete